Author Topic: Thoughts on Bladder Capacity / Holding Ability  (Read 3230 times)

Offline bursting_2_piss

• Established Member
    • Verified Member Status
Thoughts on Bladder Capacity / Holding Ability
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:04:32 AM »
I had an interesting conversation with a friend, and thought it might be interesting to throw it out there for discussion.  While planning some back to back 12 hr holds, the point was made by my friend that 12 hrs should be in the normal holding range of a typical adult, although they might be desperate, and therefore even if one of us "holders" is out of practice, it is certainly doable, and if we are in practice, it should be easy.

I think that while those are laudable goals (I myself think an average adult should be able to hold a liter without squirming too much, but most people can't) it is perhaps a bit much to ask of the typical bladder on the street :)  So, we launched into a discussion on relative bladder capacity, and came up with some interesting thoughts.

What is a person's "limit"?  What is their "capacity"? How do you define that?  How do you compare one person's holding abilities with anothers?  Is the comparison of any merit, especially when all bladder sensations are subjective?

Medical txts often say things like the typical bladder maxes out at 16 ounces...  which is only about 473 ml.  For me that is about when I feel the first sensations of wanting to pee.  Admittedly I'm closer to the extreme end of the scale, but still, that seems very small.  If my maximum capacity was less than 500 ml I'd be peeing very frequently, especially on "well hydrated" days.

While I find people's self-reported "maximum capacity" (held as long as possible, until just before wetting) to be an interesting and relevant measurement, I also am interested in "at what volume do you first get the urge" and "at what volume does the sensation change from very full / strong pressure to actual pain".  Can we all agree on what pain feels like or is that subjective?

To me there is a "sharp" difference in the sensation of pressure that is reasonably well defined... also the stretching aching turns to painful pangs.  (For the curious, those sensations happen around 1400 ml for me).  Another potentially useful measurement point is "how much can you hold without fidgeting"? 

This probably is your "normal" functional capacity, how much you can hold in a meeting or class, possibly uncomfortable and longing for relief, but able to maintain self-control and be discrete.

About a liter is my limit before I start fidgeting a little bit (perhaps only noticeable to the holding aficiando).  Your "extreme" functional capacity is how much can you hold if stuck on a car / train with no toilets, no cups to sneak a pee in, no choice but to either hold or wet... presumably you would hold on as long as you could, desperate and squirming and hand jammed in crotch, until you eventually wet.

This depends on how in practice I am...  I've never been in that situation in public, the worst I've done in public is come home hurting with 1400 ml or so in my bladder but still well in control of myself, I've never progressed to holding myself / wetting in front of others, although my at-home alone, all time best capacity, about-to-lose-a-spurt record is 1900 ml.

Anyone else have thoughts on this, or measurement points to share?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:29:16 AM by Katrina »

Offline Fred

• Established Member
Re: Thoughts on Bladder Capacity / Holding Ability
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »
My personal best is only around 900 mL, but considering that it used to be just half that, I think it's an accomplishment.  Of course, as I get older I am regressing a bit. :-(  I think I start to experience real discomfort around 600 mL, but generally I can function without fidgeting until my bladder starts to spasm.  For a little while I can use muscle control to keep the spasms in check, but then I either must pee or resort to dick-squeezes to head off each urge.  It's all rapidly downhill from there!

Would I like to have a larger bladder and be able to hold longer?  Sure!  But at my age it ain't gonna happen, so I have fun with what I've got. 

Offline Snacer

• New Member (w/ 1 or more posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »
I would like to make a remark about "12 hrs should be in the normal holding range of a typical adult". It's very individual and can't be used for most people, because consuming liquid is individual. I have very big bladder, around 2 liters (sometimes even can beat this mark for a little), but I'm always drinking a lot of liquids, and my bladder just not enough big to hold everything for 12 hours during day. Some people consuming really a little of liquids. Few yeard ago one guy on other forum mentioned that his girlfriend can make over 24 hours holds any time she is trying, and once she held her pee for 36 hours. But when I asked him how much she drinks normally, he told, that usually she consuming about a quart of liquids per day. So when people tell "I can hold 24 hours","once I held 36 hours", I always wanted to ask - how much liquid did you drink during that time?

Offline Jean

• Limited Access Member
  • Established Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:44:26 PM »
     Iím sorry to disagree with your friend that 12 hours is the normal holding range of a typical adult, because there is no mention of the liquid intake.  Someone who drinks two liters of water or lemonade during that period will not be able to hold for 12 hours no matter how hard she/he tries. (I know because I have tried).  What should be stated is the amount held, not length-of-time.   Many people can hold for 12 or more hours by limiting drinking,  (my GF does that because she has a small bladder) but try the same trick after drinking a liter or more and seeing what those results will be. Personally, my maximum capacity is about 1600 ml but usually less.  However I can rarely hold 12 hours because of drinking lots of liquids and also diet, mostly fruit and veggies. 

Offline bursting_2_piss

• Established Member
    • Verified Member Status
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »
While I agree that it might be out of the holding range of a typical adult, I'm finding that I can drink 1 1/2 liters spread out over the 12 hour interval and be fine, if rather full.  Not everything you drink goes right to the bladder, we lose a lot through respiration (moisture in breath) and can lose more through perspiration (sweating). 

Offline Clem Trilling

• Limited Access Member
  • Respect indifference
    • Moderates Own Albums
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:37:18 AM »
I've proposed some baseline measurement terms. If contestants with "perfect," "leaking," and "hyperbolic" maxima agree to report fluid intake in terms of their personal concept of capacity, what reaches their bladders still would not correlate with the passage of time. Losses due to perspiration and metabolism vary.

So if I were ever in a holding contest, I'd simply try to get a lot done in the garden and yard! But I have noticed that drinks tend to hit my bladder one hour after being consumed. Over a number of day-long contests with controlled circumstances (no exercise) "Circulatory time" and "metabolic rate" might be determined, and used along with the intake load to estimate how much urine is actually being held. Expressed as a percentage of maximum capacity, you'd have as good an idea as possible as to where other people stand (fidget, stomp, squim, or dance).

Offline Katrina

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • I've held in 1700ml to 1800ml. (April, 2012)
    • Verified Member Status
    • Katrina's Hold your Bladder Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 05:50:52 AM »
I've proposed some baseline measurement terms. If contestants with "perfect," "leaking," and "hyperbolic" maxima agree to report fluid intake in terms of their personal concept of capacity, what reaches their bladders still would not correlate with the passage of time. Losses due to perspiration and metabolism vary.

So if I were ever in a holding contest, I'd simply try to get a lot done in the garden and yard! But I have noticed that drinks tend to hit my bladder one hour after being consumed. Over a number of day-long contests with controlled circumstances (no exercise) "Circulatory time" and "metabolic rate" might be determined, and used along with the intake load to estimate how much urine is actually being held. Expressed as a percentage of maximum capacity, you'd have as good an idea as possible as to where other people stand (fidget, stomp, squim, or dance).

Do what?

I think you mean, the only real way to have a contest is output volume, not amount consumed.

On a side note, I was about to post a "challenge accepted" type response to jenn, simply because I've drank as much as a gallon without peeing for 4 hours, so I believe 2L for 12hrs possible.  But I had to consider, I live in Texas.  Summer temperatures above 100F are the norm, and humidity in Bell County (I was living in Temple at the time) can be as low as 2%.  So the same challenge might not be so easy in say the CSRA Georgia, which is where I expect to be visiting when I try to take on her suggestion about 2L and 12hrs not being holdable no matter how hard you try.

~ Katrina
*~*~ Katrina

Offline bursting_2_piss

• Established Member
    • Verified Member Status
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:16:34 PM »
On a side note, I was about to post a "challenge accepted" type response to jenn, simply because I've drank as much as a gallon without peeing for 4 hours, so I believe 2L for 12hrs possible.  But I had to consider, I live in Texas.  Summer temperatures above 100F are the norm, and humidity in Bell County (I was living in Temple at the time) can be as low as 2%.  So the same challenge might not be so easy in say the CSRA Georgia, which is where I expect to be visiting when I try to take on her suggestion about 2L and 12hrs not being holdable no matter how hard you try.

I want to try both Katrina's Gallon Challenge (as a bonus, I'd try to hold an extra hour after consuming a gallon in the first 4), and Jean's Two-Over-Twelve Bladder Marathon :)   Now someone needs to design a patch or badge for these achievements (extra star for the extra hour on the first one).  :D   With the weekend coming up, I want to try one or both of these. 

I was already planning a 12-hr back-to-back hold weekend again like last weekend, so all I have to do is up the liquid intake (2L / 67 oz) during one of those 12-hr stretches to take on Jean's Bladder Marathon.    Drinking a 16 oz soda at the start and then every three hours (plus an extra 4 oz, make one soada a 20 oz) will have all the liquid consumed by hours 9-10, at which point you must wait 2-3 more hours to pee.  I think this is doable, although I will probably be strongly wanting to pee by the end.

As for Katrina's challenge, drinking a gallon over 4 hours is similar to what I've done many times for personal maximum volume held attempts.   I find that when drinking as much as is sane, safe, and comfortable, it takes me more than 4 hours (5 usually) for my bladder to reach its limit, and about a gallon is what I can take in during that time.   Drinking a gallon over 4 hours is 1 quart/32 oz every hour or 16 oz every 30 minutes.  So, definitely a max volume bladder stretcher for me, but should be doable if my bladder can stretch to its old limits (1600 - 1900 ml).   

Who else is up for the challenge?

Offline wettingman

• Established Member
  • I Love Feeling like I am about to pee myself
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 09:59:22 AM »
 I can hold my pee for 12 hours, but it will depend what and how much I have been drinking.  I would not encourage very long holds because they involve limiting intake and over time that is dangerous.
Holding your pee is really about your pain tolerance, and actual physical bladder capacity. You can increase your capacity to a point over time, by holding and stretching your bladder but it is largely what you are born with. I recently decided to measure my output at various points of needing to pee and this is what I came up with. What I identify as my maximum holding capacity, I have ignored the pain, clamped my sphincter as tight as I could , and used all external aids I could, squirming , squeezing my legs together as well as grabbing my penis. I only peed after I started leaking in my pants.
My first feel the need to pee 250ML. I feel real fullness in bladder and pressure in my penis at around 500ML. I think this is the average human capacity. By 800ml I am very uncomfortable in both places, And starting to squirm. The urge to pee at my pee hole is strong.
 By 1 liter I am getting desperate. I need to hold my penis some as I start feeling like I might leak.
 I have measured my output when I could not hold it anymore and started to leak, Several times and it was 1.25 liters. I bested that once because my son was here when I was holding. If I stood up I either would wet my pants or have to hold myself in front of him. I was sitting at my desk so he could not see what I was doing beneath it. It was extremely painful, and I donít plan to do it again but I held my record of 1.35 liters

[/size]Drinking a gallon, I have come close with 3 liters but since that induces rapid bladder filling, giving it less time to stretch, so I doubt it would show true capacity, but will be much more painful.For some reason I am having an issue with font size/type/color formatting here.
Check out All my pee holding stories here http://www.holdyourbladder.info/index.php?board=42.0

Although my name is Wettingman I never just let it out in my pants; that is no fun. I chose the name because I enjoy doing whatever I can to hold my pee, enjoying the desperate feeling and wetting my jeans only because I can no longer hold it. Pee holding is foreplay peeing the orgasm .
My avatar is a full days worth of pee.